Tuesday, March 18, 2014

New York City - Impressions of Manhattan

The "Lipstick Building"
Business recently took me to Manhattan. Despite all my travels, it was my first stay in New York City.  It was a short stay - two nights with my days spent in client meetings and a deposition.  But with some encouragement from the hotel front desk staff, I traveled to the deposition by subway and by foot, giving me a quick view of many the most identifiable places in America.  I was toting my camera with me, so on the return trip after the deposition, I took some photos despite the heavy overcast.

Overall my impression was quite different than I expected with my preconceived Midwestern prejudices.  Yes, the city is big and crowded, but it very quickly lost any intimidation factor. I found it was not a particularly difficult place to navigate.  I was able to get around by subway and walking, except for going to and from the airport.   

People are busy and generally keep to their own business. But in my experience, they are not unfriendly or rude.  In fact, quite the opposite.  And the fascinating mixture of languages and cultures you find just walking down the street is exhilarating. 

But the place that left me speechless was the site of the World Trade Center and the new Freedom Tower.  Like Arlington Cemetery and the Vietnam Memorial Wall, it is hallowed ground. And it leaves a profound impact that cannot be described.




St. Paul's Chapel (oldest building in Manhattan), which hosted George Washington  on his Inauguration Day and survived the 9/11 attacks across the street from the World Trade Center, and new  Freedom Tower



A reminder in the shadow of the new Freedom Tower

Central Park South

Historic buildings in shadow of skyscrapers


Gilded Gen. Sherman - Central Park South


No comments:

Post a Comment